Monday 28 August 2023

Chapter Thirty-four: A daring plan

(Charles Huntingdon needs to recover papers that Mr Bunbridge has stolen and is intending to carry to London)

   If I had informed Clifford of my plan, he would have considered it “a hanging matter”, and he would, of course, have been correct. As it was, I dared not even explain its full details to Ned Timmis, though I needed his assistance. I asked him whether he still had the pistol that we took from Black George when he had rescued me from the highwayman.

  “That I do, sir”, he replied, “and a very fine pistol it is! I keeps it safely locked away, sir, for it wouldn’t be right for the likes of me to be caught with such a weapon.” While he departed to collect it from his cottage, I wrote a letter which I had been contemplating for much of the previous night.

  Ned soon returned with the gun carefully concealed under his coat. It was indeed a beautiful and valuable weapon, made of the finest wood and steel and chased in silver. Black George, I thought, must have stolen it from some nobleman. I placed the letter with it, wrapped them in cloth and securely tied the package with string. I now asked Ned if he would accompany me on my mission. I did not explain my plan in detail: I warned him that it was probably illegal and possibly dangerous, but he only laughed. Then we made our way on horseback past Mulchester to the Hollybush inn.

  We parted out of sight of the inn, since we did not wish to be seen in each other’s company. I left my horse in the yard and withdrew. Ned Timmis then spent some time there, chatting to the boys there about the price of hay and other matters while I waited. Eventually he was allowed to inspect the stables, where he congratulated them on their work and rejoined me.

   “I’ve seen his horse, sir!” he informed me in a whisper, “And he’s inside: the boys didn’t admit to knowing who he was, and I didn’t press them. What do we do now, sir?”

   I instructed Ned to enter the inn first. He ordered for beer and food and took a seat in a corner, to await my call if needed. After a brief interval I too entered, carrying my package. Ignoring my companion, I approached the surly-looking innkeeper and ordered a pot of his ale. I took no more than a sip, for the quality had not improved. I hoped I was not recognised from by previous visit. After some casual conversation with old Joseph, I said that I wished to talk to a man known by the name of George.

  “I do not know his surname,” I said, “but I believe he is sometimes known as Black George, and by some as King George. I was led to believe that he is sometimes to be found here.”

   “Never heard of him!” he replied firmly. He turned to the skeletal waiter and asked, “Don’t know anyone of that name, do we?” The servant shook his head in confirmation.

   Only one other guest was present, seated under a window. His back was to the light, and his broad hat pulled down to his eyebrows left his face in shadow. He had been listening to our conversation, and when I glanced in his direction he summoned me over with a slight inclination of his head. I went to sit opposite him. I was anxious to see his left hand, looking for the broken finger, but he kept it under the table.

 “I have heard of this man George”, he said in a low voice, “Though I have never met him. You must talk with great care about such matters: walls may have ears. But tell me, why have you come here seeking this George, whoever he might be?”

   I said, “I have this package which I was asked to deliver to Mr George. I believe it contains some token of goodwill, and also a letter. I understood that he was sometimes to be found here, but perhaps I was wrong. I shall leave it with old Joseph, in the hope that Mr George might at some time visit the inn. If he does not appear, it would seem that my mission was without purpose, and in that case you may keep it for yourself.”

   I then placed the package, together with a few coins, on a nearby table that a servant was engaged in wiping with a dirty rag. I bowed to the company, collected Alexander from the yard and rode away.

   When Black George opened the package, he would discover that it contained the pistol I had struck from his hand at our previous encounter. The letter, which was in disguised handwriting and unsigned, read: “There will be passing this way on the Thursday coach from Mulchester a cleric. He is the Rector of Bereton, a very stout man, and he will be carrying a leather satchel containing certain papers. There are people who will pay in gold if these papers can be removed and left with the innkeeper here.”

 

   Later, Timmis finished his meal and joined me on the road outside. “I won’t be eating there again in a hurry!” he complained, “They gets better food in our Bridewell! That bacon: I reckon the pig must have died of old age, and not recently, neither!” He reported that Joseph had taken away my package, and that soon afterwards the gentleman I had talked with had followed into the back room.

   “And I seen his hand!” he added, “Finger all broke, just like you said! That’s the man all right!”

   So far, our mission had succeeded, but what if Black George suspected a trap, and did nothing? What if he did take the satchel but then, thinking it might be worth more if offered to someone else, refused to hand it over? He might even enquire how much the Rector might pay to have it returned!

 



   I could now only wait and hope. I was in Mulchester while the coach was preparing to depart: Mr Bunbridge was there, cursing the servants’ clumsiness as they loaded his box, and I could not fail to observe that he carried the leather satchel on board himself and would not allow anyone to touch it. Curiosity then overcame my better judgement, for I mounted Alexander and rode ahead to the Hollybush, where I hid in the thickets on the far side of the road, and watched while the coach stopped to water the horses. Bunbridge alighted briefly, still clutching his satchel. I then returned home and waited impatiently for news.   

  

   A few days later all Bereton was excitedly telling the story of how the London coach had been met by highwaymen in the forest south of Mulchester and the passengers robbed. The Rector had resisted surrendering his satchel, and in consequence was pulled from the coach and rolled in the mud, though he suffered no injury except to his dignity. He had then demanded that the coach should return him to Mulchester, but the coachman had refused, and the other passengers, anxious to escape from such a dangerous place, had echoed this. Mr Bunbridge was obliged to find a farmer’s cart to carry him home. It was reported that his appearance, covered with mud, attracted a following of urchins all jeering at him, and that, far from enduring his misfortune with Christian patience, he was blaspheming fit to raise the devil.

   Opinion in Bereton was divided. The Dissenters especially were most amused by the Rector’s sufferings, and some even regarded it as an example of Divine justice. Others were shocked by this insult to a man of the cloth, whatever they might have thought of Mr Bunbridge as a person. I did not intend to enlighten anyone as to my part in the episode.

   So we could presume that the satchel and its contents would now be at the inn, and that we might travel there to collect them and pay as promised. I called my friends together to explain how to proceed. It was only at this stage that I revealed to Mr Clifford what had passed, and he was deeply shocked.

   “I must beg you, sir, not to go anywhere near the inn”, he pleaded. “Your actions were not only illegal, but most dangerous. What if this highwayman betrays you? What if he takes your money and gives you nothing in return? Or robs you before you get there? And why take all these risks? As Mr Jarrett told you, the will means nothing. And as for these other papers; you have told us nothing about them, and why you consider them so important”.

   I saw that I would have to explain to them that they included letters from Sir James that would indict him of treasonable correspondence with the Jacobites. I did not mention his doubts about Louisa’s parentage

   Clifford continued in his resolution not to be involved, and begged me to do the same, saying that neither the King nor his ministers cared about Jacobitism nowadays. But Ned Timmis, contemptuously brushing aside such counsels of cowardice, volunteered himself to collect the goods from old Joseph at the Hollybush. “I reckon I’m in it up to my neck already, sir. If we swing, we’ll swing. I’ll take some of my lads, and we’ll go armed. I’d like to see any highwayman try to rob us!” he seemed to relish the prospect of such an adventure.

  To my great surprise, Mr Chamberlain, the young curate of Bearsclough who was now my household chaplain, said, “If you permit, I will go in your place, sir; for I am not known there, and my clergyman’s bands may serve to lull any suspicions. And I shall examine the documents carefully before any money is paid, for, with all due respect to Timmis here, I am more likely than he to discern whether what we are given are the ones you want.” To this, Timmis readily agreed.

  The party gathered at the Priory early the next morning. Ned Timmis had assembled half a dozen or so of what he called his “lads”, though they appeared to range in age from about sixteen to twenty-five. All carried stout sticks and looked ready and eager for the fray, especially if ale should be involved. Mr Chamberlain, by contrast, had taken pains to dress in his best clothes, which caused Mrs Timmis to fuss about him giving his coat an extra brush. I gave him a purse of gold and silver and wished them well. They then all piled into my carriage, whilst we attempted to suppress our impatience until they should return.

 

              *************************

 

   It was late in the evening when Ned Timmis’s party returned, gleefully recounting their adventure in a babble of voices. Mr Chamberlain produced a bundle of papers from under his coat and gave it to me, and they sat down to a lavish supper with copious supplies of beer. I begged them to eat and drink their fill first, and only then give me a full account of what had occurred. At length, when the young men were fully sated and ready to return to their cottages, I rewarded them with silver, but Ned Timmis addressed them sternly.

   “Now then,” he said, “you’ve done well today, but you mustn’t never tell no-one about it. Not your mothers nor your sweethearts; understand? If I find you’ve been talking, you’ll have me to reckon with. But you keep quiet and the master here’ll be your friend for life.  Right? Off you go then.” Singing lustily, they departed into the night.

    It was only then that we were told the full story of the day’s adventures, with Ned Timmis and Mr Chamberlain constantly adding to each other’s accounts. Near Mulchester they had borrowed a covered cart from farmer Brownlow, in the hope of reaching the Hollybush unrecognised.

   “So one of the lads drove, and the rest of us hid under cover behind,” said Chamberlain, “And then near the inn we were stopped by a party of surly-looking men, who were perhaps the ambush party that Mr Clifford had feared, but we drove them off.”

   “We threw off the covers,” Ned Timmis took up the story, “And they saw us all armed and ready for them! They weren’t half surprised! Made them think twice, it did!”

  “I wish you could have seen Ned then!” Mr Chamberlain intervened, “He seized one of the ruffians by the collar, and he said: I know you, Sam Telward: a low sneak-thief who skulks around Mulchester marketplace hoping to snatch purses. You be off be off sharpish now, if you don’t want to feel my old blackthorn on your head!”

   “And be off he did, and so did the rest of the varmints!” said Timmis with immense satisfaction.

   “And then we reached the inn, and of Black George, as you described him, there was no sign; though doubtless he was observing the scene from somewhere”, Chamberlain continued the story. “I approached the innkeeper and announced that I understood that he had a satchel and papers that I wished to purchase. At first he denied all knowledge of the subject, though he could not take his eyes off a half guinea which I placed on the table before him. I told him that this and more was his if he produced the satchel, and there would be no need to tell Black George about it; and that it was his choice, for if he did not instantly produce the satchel, then we would search the inn ourselves until we found it. Then there was a clatter behind me…”

   “That was my lads overturning a few chairs and tables, to make our point clear”, Timmis interjected.

   “… and then, with great reluctance and sundry muttered oaths, the waiter was sent shuffling away into a back room and returned with the satchel. I gave the papers a brief examination: there was indeed a will, and other documents that appeared to be letters written by Sir James Wilbrahim. So I gave the landlord the purse, which he emptied on the table. You could see his lips slavering with greed as he counted through the gold!”

    “And well he might”, Timmis added, “for a fair sum it was to give to those two villains, Old Joseph and Black George, and to my mind they both deserves hanging, they do, but no doubt you knows best, sir."

   “And so we drove back to Mulchester, meeting no more trouble, and here we are!”

   “I notice that, while you have the papers, you do not have the satchel”, I observed.

   “No,” Mr Chamberlain replied, “It occurred to me that if Mr Bunbridge chose to pursue the matter, he could have identified it as property stolen from him. So I told the landlord he could keep it. Nothing can now be traced to us”.

   I heard Clifford breathe a sigh of relief at this news.

   “What should you now do with the papers?” he asked.

   What indeed? was the question I now asked myself. I said I would decide on that in the morning. And so we parted, for all of us were by now very tired.

 

  The night brought no solution to a problem that was troubling me, and the morning found me picking irresolutely at my breakfast whilst shuffling the papers that we had recovered. No doubt my face wore a troubled frown and I must have occasionally muttered to myself or uttered a sigh. Mrs Timmis stood by watching me, and was eventually moved to ask respectfully if anything was wrong.

   “Yes, Mrs Timmis”, I replied, “I’m greatly perplexed!”

   “I can tell that, sir. It’s them papers, ain't it? You’ve got them back, but you don’t know what to do with them.”

   I looked up in astonishment. How did she know anything about what had passed? But then it occurred to me that, although she had not been invited to our meeting, she had constantly bustled in and out, bringing food and drink and clearing away plates, and must have acquired a fair knowledge of our discussions. I suddenly decided that any further concealment would be pointless, and that it would greatly unburden me to reveal my problems to someone.

   “Mrs Timmis”, I said, “May I presume that I can trust you absolutely?”

   She nodded.

   “Well then. The papers are of three kinds. The first is the will, which appoints Mr Bunbridge as Miss Wilbrahim’s guardian for many years ahead. I am sure you will agree that this is a most undesirable outcome? All that needs to be done there is to write out a new will, though it might be more difficult to persuade Sir James to sign it. Secondly, there are letters, written in Sir James’s own hand, indicating treasonable correspondence with the Jacobites, and I am assured that the King and his ministers would hold these in no account now. It is the third class of documents that is the most problematic to me.

   “You may recall that when I first came here, a few years ago, you mentioned that there had been local gossip concerning the fact that Sir James was not in residence when the Highland rebels marched through in December 1745, and the Prince stopped at Stanegate for the night, and that Miss Louisa, Sir James’s only child, was born the following September? Well, Sir James reveals in his papers that he himself had doubts about his daughter’s parentage, and drafted letters to the Prince concerning this matter, though I do not think any were actually sent.

   “So, Mrs Timmis, what am I to do with them? Should I simply burn the whole lot, and do my best to forget about it? But then, what if Sir James should recover his health and wish to see his private papers again? Or suppose Miss Wilbrahim comes to learn of how we obtained the papers: what should I tell her?

   “Oh, and I must tell you that not long ago a certain lady (I shall not tell you her name, or how I met her) testified to me that  it was impossible that the Prince could have been Miss Louisa’s father, and I have no reason to doubt her word. So tell me, Mrs Timmis, what am I to do?”

   She considered for a moment, and then, instead of answering, asked, “Well, sir, I know as how you’d asked Miss Wilbrahim for her hand in marriage, and she accepted you, though you never told me in so many words. Now Becky tells me that her mistress truly loves you, but that she won’t commit herself to anything at present, what with her father being so sick. That’s all true, ain’t it, sir?”

   “It is true, Mrs Timmis: but what now? Should I confess to Sir James Wilbrahim that I know his secrets? Or tell Miss Wilbrahim what I have discovered about her father? I fear that would cause her great distress. But, on the other hand, how could I bear to deceive her? I ask again: what should I do?”

   Mrs Timmis considered before replying.

   “I fancy, sir, that you will discover Miss Louisa to be stronger and braver than you imagine. With all that she’s been through, she’s a child no longer. If you wish, sir, I’ll speak to her myself. I could tell Becky that I have an important message for her mistress, so she can take me into Stanegate, and to Miss Louisa”.

   “And what would you propose to tell her?”

   “The truth, sir. The entire truth. She trusts me and knows I mean her nothing but good. And I’ll ask her what she wants done with them letters and things: you to bring them for her to read, or burn them, or hide them away again.”

   I sat back in my chair and breathed heavily. “Well, Mrs Timmis”, I said eventually, “This would appear to be the only plan we have, so you may proceed. I can only hope and pray that you are right”.

   “Oh, I am, sir.”

 

   But before this plan could be put in operation, there was a most unforeseen development. Mr Bunbridge the Rector sent me a message demanding an interview!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment