Saturday 8 July 2023

Chapter Twenty-seven: Danielle's story

(It is spring 1763. Charles Huntingdon and his friends have discovered that Danielle d'Autun, a French lady whom they know, and who may know some important information, has been sentenced to death for theft. They decide to visit her in prison)


    A few days later, the pair joined me again, Wandescote having discovered that Danielle was held in a prison known as the Coldharbour.

   “It is greatly feared by Londoners,” he reported with a certain relish, “The gaoler is a certain Hugh Bennet, but is known as ‘the Cracker’. He is a far greater villain than those unlucky enough to be entrusted to his tender care. These wretches, or their relatives, have to pay for everything: for food, for bedding, for candles. Those who refuse may find themselves chained in some noisome dungeon until they see reason. Happily, the man is infinitely corruptible. I know the place: would you wish me to introduce you to the famous Mr Cracker?”

   Darnwell intervened to say, “I had the honour to be the guest of this man not so long ago, following a regrettable incident in the street, and my father left me in his care for a few days, in order to teach me a lesson, I suppose, before bailing me. But others I met there did not have such good fortune. During my brief spell under his roof, I met unfortunates who had served their sentences, or had even been acquitted at their trial, but whom he refused to release unless they paid him for the privilege! I tell you: should I ever be elected to Parliament, I would demand a full enquiry into the state of the nation’s prisons!” 

   We decided to pay the Coldharbour a visit that very day.

  

 The first thing I noticed as we approached the notorious establishment, which sat like a grim fortress from an earlier age, was not the gates, strong and oppressive though they were, but the number of little bags and baskets dangling on strings from the upper windows. My companions explained that the unhappy inmates were not provided with sufficient to sustain life, but a lucky few were permitted to employ this means to beg from any benevolent persons who might pass by, and could then purchase food or bedding from the gaoler. By these means the great Hugh Bennet was believed to have accumulated no little wealth.

  I distributed a few small coins among the hanging receptacles, which were immediately hauled up, to the accompaniment of blessings and cries of gratitude from the windows above. Then we rang a bell at the gate, doing this several times before we managed to rouse the porter. He was a surly fellow, who deeply resented our disturbing his repose. He carried a club, and a timorous person might well have turned and fled, for he looked indeed as if he might attack at the least provocation, but he hesitated when he saw that we were all gentlemen.

   Wandescote was undaunted.  “Greetings, Grumbling Jack!” he said cheerfully. “Just be a good-natured fellow and let us in without delay, will you? We desire to speak to your lord and master. Here’s silver for your troubles!”   The porter pocketed the proffered money, but continued with his muttered comments as he locked the door behind us and led us down a corridor and into a courtyard which was crowded with both men and women. Some were seated carousing on the dirty cobbles, with bottles being passed around, and many were obviously drunk. My friends whispered that it was very easy to obtain gin from the gaolers, provided the necessary money was forthcoming. Some shouted from a safe distance obscene insults at our guide, who kicked out of his path those who were prostrate and insensible. Then we were taken to the mighty tyrant of this kingdom: the famous Hugh Bennet, the Cracker.

 

  The face of the tyrant who ruled this fortress would have struck immediate fear into his unwilling subjects. An old wound on his left cheek caused his upper lip to curl into a permanent sneer. He wore no wig, and his hair was cut so short that he appeared almost bald. His chin was unshaven and dark, and his blue eyes malevolent and cunning. He was short and squat, but with powerful-looking forearms and shoulders. His clothes were of the cheapest, and none too clean. Ignoring the porter entirely, he demanded of us what we wanted. He recognised Wandescote as a frequent and no doubt well-paying visitor, and listened while he explained our request to interview Danielle d’Autun. Darnwell added that I was a Member of Parliament and thus a person of influence.

   Bennet did not bother to ask why, but instead named his terms, which were not for silver, but for a golden guinea! When I gave him one, the rogue weighed it in his hand, examined it closely and even bit it, as if he suspected that I might have passed him a forgery! But no doubt he had dealt with many forged coins in his time.

   He did not deign to accompany us to the cell himself, but instead clapped his hands to summon one of his menials. This fellow, in contrast with his master, was as thin as a lath and walked with a long, loping step; his mouth bore but a single tooth, long and yellow like a fang, and his eyes had an evil glint to them. I instinctively felt pity for any defenceless wretch who came under his care. He was given a few brief instructions, too low for us to overhear, and then he lit a lantern and led us on our way into the nether depths of the celebrated Bastille.

   We approached a heavy door, which the disgusting turnkey, having selected a key from an immense, jangling ring that he carried, proceeded with evident reluctance to unlock. The door emitted an ominous groan as he pushed it open.


    At first I could see nothing, for inside it was almost lightless. I drew breath, and almost choked, for the air was putrid and foul. I heard voices and the movement of bodies, and discovered that the cell, though small, contained many prisoners. Some of these now came crawling on their knees towards us. But the turnkey ignored them, except when they got in his way or clawed at his breeches, begging for succour, when he pushed them aside with a curse. He led us to a corner where we found Danielle lying on filthy straw, with a chain on her leg. She sat up with a start, and the lantern caused her to shade her eyes from the sudden glow.

   “You want to be alone with her?” the turnkey asked, giving us a lascivious wink.

   “This place will do for the present”, I answered, “But first, be good enough to unchain her, and bring us sufficient food and wine, and candles too, and a chair to sit on”.

   He demurred at this, and I was obliged to part with yet more coin before he would agree to my requests.

“And I shall go too”, said Darnwell, “and guard the door, lest this rogue should dare to lock us in, and then demand money to release us. And if I find that he fails to bring us sufficient victuals on his return, then he shall answer to my boot!”

   After the turnkey had departed, still cursing, I regarded the unfortunate woman before me. Wandescote stood watching and said nothing. The light was very dim, and had I not known it was Danielle, I doubt if I would ever have recognised her, for the passing years, added to her present miserable situation, sat hard upon her features. Ever since our night together I had often, when I was alone, remembered what we had done together and lusted after her in my imagination; but seeing her now haggard, dirty and half-starved I could feel only pity mingled with disgust. I doubted whether she would remember me at all, for she had no doubt had many lovers after our encounter. She had the expression of a frightened hunted animal as she looked at me: who was this stranger, and was he here to inflict yet more sufferings?  

   “Pray do not be alarmed”, I said, “We shall help you if we can”.

   “I am innocent!” she wailed, “It was an unjust accusation, by my wicked landlord!”

   “That does not concern me now”, I replied, “I merely wish you to answer some questions about another matter. My name is Charles Huntingdon. I met you once, a few years ago. I am a friend of Sir James Wilbrahim, and I am a Member of Parliament, but I have no connexion with the present ministry, and anything you say I shall treat in strictest confidence. Let us wait until the gaoler returns to free you from your chains and bring you food, after which we can talk. And if it is my power to save your life, I shall do so”.

   We waited, the silence broken only by a few sobs from her. At last the turnkey appeared with a younger assistant, bearing a broken-backed chair together with a basket and a bottle. With much muttered grumbling he lit two candles and then unlocked the chain from her ankle, which she proceeded to rub vigorously, and then seated herself on the chair. When the man had left I opened the bag, which contained a loaf, a mutton pie and a black bottle of cheap wine. Nothing was clean; but neither this nor the dubious smell of the wine prevented Danielle from gobbling at great speed. She was ravenous with hunger, though she shared some of the food with a miserable-looking old lady who lay near her.

   When they had finished every crumb and every drop, I requested that she recount to me everything she knew concerning Sir James Wilbrahim and the Jacobites. I soon discovered she was understandably suspicious of me, and would not tell me anything of interest. After much fruitless questioning I decided I had had more than enough of the noisome dungeon, so I rose from my chair and prepared to leave.

   I hoped that, given time, Danielle might be willing to reveal more, so I told her, “I am leaving now, but I shall return. Until then, please reflect. If you tell me truthfully what you know, I shall do my utmost to help you, and save you from the gallows if I can.” She had a wild look in her eyes, but said nothing.

  We found Darnwell waiting for us outside. “Well?” he asked me, “What did she tell you concerning old Wilbrahim?”

  “Nothing”, I told him, “I suspect she thought I might be a government spy. But I’ll try to get her moved to a better cell, where she can live on her own, and eventually she may come to trust me”.

  “As your legal advisor, I would have to caution you against believing a single word she said!” he laughed.

   As I prepared to depart that dreadful building, I told Bennet, “I shall return soon, by which time I shall expect to find her in a decent room with proper bedding. If you do this, and allow me to speak to her again, you will be paid. If not, I promise to make life exceedingly difficult for you.” He made no reply, though I heard him spit on the ground once my back was turned.

  I wondered whether I could trust Bennet at all. Wandescote advised me that I could, provided I paid him enough to satisfy his cupidity, and, more importantly, let him expect even larger payment in the future. This proved correct at least for the moment, for next day I was informed that Danielle was now being held in his best room, part of his own quarters in the prison, and fed from his own table, and all at a rent, payable by me, not significantly less than what I paid for my own London lodgings.

 

   I was eventually able to have many conversations with Danielle. At the start she revealed nothing, and I believe that she never fully trusted me. I did not raise the question of my night with her which ended with the theft of my belongings, but eventually she must have remembered the incident herself, for without any prompting she told me, “I am sorry that I abandoned you that night. I had another urgent task to fulfil before morning. But I never stole from you. That villain Yarrow, whose house it was, must have crept into the room when you were asleep. Later he learnt my secret and vowed he would expose me unless I followed his orders, and when I would not satisfy his filthy lusts, he informed on me to a magistrate. What could I do?”

   I told her that this incident was no longer of any importance to me, and that I had entirely forgiven her for the part she had played there. Instead I wanted to know about her links with the English Jacobites, and especially what she knew of events in Brereton when the Scots Jacobite rebels had passed through there in 1745.

  She told me many stories about her adventurous life, whether truthful or not I could not say. She denied ever having met Sir James Wilbrahim, of which fact I was already certain, and I stressed that he was a friend; that I meant neither him nor any other inhabitants of the town any harm, but that I was asking out of curiosity only, as concerning the place where I now lived.

 

    I did not attempt to write anything down in Danielle’s presence, lest she become suspicious, but instead attempted to piece her accounts together back at my lodgings. But I was not always able to do this until the day after, or even later, for I had other claims. Here, therefore, is my attempt to reduce everything she told me to a continuousnarrative, whilst correcting the occasional mistakes and strange phrases in her English. Even if only partially true, what a novel of adventure and romance it would make!

 

             ………………………… ………………… 

                                   Danielle’s story

 

   “My father was French, but my mother was a Scot, from an ancient family driven into exile for their support for the Stuart cause, and she taught me to speak English. They both died when I was young, and I was left under the care of my uncle, who was a friend of the Comte de Maurepas, the Minister of Marine. When war was looming with England after 1742, he sent me to England to contact Jacobites there and prepare for a rising and a French invasion. I was little more than twenty years old, and eager for adventure.

   “I was sent to the English Midlands, taking letters  from your friend Sir James Wilbrahim and many Jacobite gentlemen in Staffordshire and Shropshire and other counties, and passed them on to our chief agent: Butler was his name. When the Prince advanced through Lancashire, I travelled to meet him, and we became lovers. Oh, he was so handsome, and so charming in his manner!


   “When we reached Stanegate in December, Wibrahim was not there, but we were received by his wife. She was a proud lady and a lifelong supporter our cause. She knelt on the icy ground before the Prince and kissed his hand, welcoming him to her house as the representative of her true sovereign; and he most gallantly raised to her feet and thanked her with all his heart. Then the next morning we marched onwards.

   “I was present at the meeting in Derby a few days later, when all the Scottish chieftains told him he must retreat, since he had received no letters from France and not a single English lord or gentleman had joined them. And that was true, for many, like Wilbrahim, had run away to London, Sir Watkin Williams Wynn in Wales made not a move, and in Staffordshire Lord Gower committed the greatest betrayal, for he changed sides and joined the government!

   “The Prince was very angry, but could do nothing. If we had continued to London, who knows what would have befallen? I joined him in the retreat. His mood changed: he became morose, with bursts of anger. I do not think he ever again spoke to Lord Murray, who was his best commander.

   “When a garrison was left at Carlisle to cover the return into Scotland, I felt sure they would all be caught and hanged, so I fled. I knew of nowhere safe to go, and I almost starved in the snow as I walked, but near Penrith a kind farmer found me and took me in. Ralph Patterson was his name, a Catholic, and I lived in his home for a while, paying for my living by teaching his children. Eventually I was able to make my way back to France.

   “Years later, I was in Rome, and there I met the Prince again. But oh, how he had changed! He looked an old man now, he was often drunk, and then he would beat his wife and his mistresses. When I mentioned Scotland to him, he burst into tears. I felt sad for him.

   “Of my life in those years I shall say nothing. But then, a few years ago, with the war against your country going badly for us, monsieur le Duc de Choiseul, our chief minister, thought he should try for a new Jacobite revolt and invasion, so I was sent to England again, with the promise of money, to see what could be done. For this purpose I would approach the noblemen and gentlemen, like yourself, to see what I could discover concerning their thoughts about the war and the restoration of the true king. But I soon found that my mission was futile, and M. de Choiseul knew it too, and the money I was promised never came, and I was left in London, penniless and friendless! And now I am in the prison, with nothing to look forward to but the gallows!”


                     ............................................................. 


   I begged her to have confidence; that my friends and I would do our utmost to gain her a reprieve. Henry Darnwell had drawn up his petition, in what he said was proper legal form, respectfully begging His Majesty to exercise his Royal prerogative of mercy. I persuaded Sir Anthony Pardington to head the list of signatories. Those of my friends who were currently in London signed, and so did Mr Boswell and Charles Churchill. Lord Staines signed, but warned me on no account to approach his father for a signature. Finally, with some caution, I sought Mr Braithwaite. He read the petition and sighed.

  “Do you not know”, he said, “that His Majesty is resolved to suppress vice and immorality? His very first proclamation from the throne was to that effect. A woman with this kind of reputation is exactly the sort of person he wishes to eradicate from his capital. Even his tender-hearted Queen might draw the line here. And the fact that the woman is French does nothing to help her cause.

  “Why should you and your friends be exerting yourselves on her behalf?”

I told him that I had spoken to Danielle, and that I believed she held important information on the late Jacobite revolt in my part of the country, that I wished to discover.

    “And what would be the purpose of such an enquiry, pray?” he asked. “Such regrettable episodes should not be raked over: it does no good. We live in a new reign now, and may, I hope, look forward to happier times. As far as His Majesty is concerned, the Jacobite troubles are buried in the past and best forgotten; and I must say that I am in full agreement with him there.

  “May I suspect that your reasons are more personal?” he continued, “You surely do not believe she is a lady of spotless virtue, do you? Has she in fact performed certain services for you, which you prefer not to describe?”

   I did not reply. Mr Braithwaite’s voice had faded away to nothing, his eyes bore a faraway look and there was the ghost of a smile on his usually austere face. It was as if his mind was recalling the adventures of his youth, thirty or forty years ago. He was silent for a while and then sighed before speaking.

   “Well, I shall sign your petition. Proceed with your attempt if you wish, but do not live in any great hope of its success. I have some influence with the new ministers: I shall see if I can contrive to obtain for this woman of yours at least a stay of execution for the moment; or I can recommend her for transportation to the American colonies. But do not expect any more than that!”

    He added his signature, and it appeared I could only hope that he was wrong in his predictions. There were further questions I wished to ask Danielle, but I found these must wait, for I now received news of a most alarming nature from back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment