Friday 14 April 2023

Chapter Fifteen: An unfortunate incident

 (Charles Huntingdon has just been elected Memeber of Parliament for Bereton, alongside his neighbour Sir James Wilbrahim)

  I remained at the Priory for several weeks after the election, during which time I was able to observe Sir James at work as Justice of the Peace. He advised me to attend the Petty Sessions, saying that I would undoubtedly be appointed a magistrate myself ere long. I discovered there was a vast amount of work to do; supervising the work of the parish constables, the surveyors of highways and the overseers of the poor, who were not infrequently negligent in their duties, listening to complaints of nuisance caused by the effluvia from various noxious trades like the tanners of the town, and sitting in judgement on various lesser criminals. I soon came to realise that Sir James knew everyone in the town and the surrounding villages, and his judgements were generally supported by local opinion. For the offenders, he generally inclined on the side of leniency, except for poachers. My respect for him increased.

 

   By contrast, my own self-esteem suffered a severe blow at the Bereton Lammastide Fair.  This was an ancient tradition which attracted visitors from all over the county. Every year Sir James Wilbrahim would be there, talking to everyone as equals, praising the entertainments and spending considerable sums of money at the stalls; but this year an attack of gout confined him to his house, and I undertook the role as best I could. At first all went well: I bought a number of small objects I did not need, paying without complaint what I presumed to be grossly inflated prices; I laughed at the clowns and applauded the dancers, agreeing that they were every bit as good as anything I had seen in London, and provided drinks for a large number of people who proclaimed their support for me at the election. A train of urchins followed me around, hoping for pennies for sweetmeats, with which I duly rewarded them.

   My attention was suddenly attracted by the sound of voices raised in anger and a woman wailing. Pushing my way to the front I found a large tent selling beer, outside which sat or stood half-a-dozen soldiers, resplendent in their uniforms. One of them had his hand on the shoulder of a farm lad, while Ned Timmis was arguing with the sergeant. A girl was kneeling on the ground, weeping. Most of the bystanders appeared hostile. I came forward to discover what was happening.

   I did not know the girl, but she must have recognised me, for she grabbed me by the hem of my coat. “Oh, sir!” she sobbed, “They’re taking my Jimmy away, and I’ll never see him no more!” She would not release her grasp, and continued to wail that her lover “had better gone to the gallows!” Thus encumbered, I attempted to intervene in the dispute.

    “It’s these here redcoats!” exclaimed Timmis, who was very red in the face himself. “They say young Jimmy Thatcher here has taken the King’s shilling and volunteered for the army! And I say they lured him in and got him drunk, so he didna know what he’s doing; and I’m not having it! Him one of my best farm workers, with haymaking just coming on and all! And him soon to be married to poor Nan here! Tell ‘em to let him go, sir!”

   I turned to the sergeant: a hard-faced man with a dark jaw and a scar down his left cheek, and asked whether young Jimmy Thatcher could have his volunteering cancelled, since he had acted hastily and probably under the influence of drink. The sergeant, perceiving that I was a gentleman, answered me with formal politeness, though without any excess of deference; a delicate balance that was a skill I suspected he had long practised. He explained that in normal circumstances the payment of a guinea would suffice; but as I reached in my purse to extract one, he added that since the recruit in question had kissed a Bible and sworn the oath, this remedy could not now be effected. I wondered whether this was an attempt to extort more money from me. It seemed that some in the crowd thought the same way, for there were more angry mutterings.

    A young captain now appeared, strutting like a peacock in his flawless costume, and the sergeant briefly outlined the situation to him. He then turned to me and in an arrogant manner enquired who I might be.

   Attempting to conceal my annoyance, I introduced myself as the newly elected Member of Parliament for the borough of Bereton.

   “Oh, a politician?” he answered, uttering the word with heavy contempt in his voice. “And I am Captain Darnwell, at your service”, he continued, his tone making it clear that he did not regard himself as being at my service at all. Perhaps he did not believe my claim, or, if he did, then he affected to despise all politicians. I accordingly changed tack and asked him if he was by any chance related to Henry Darnwell, a gentleman who was an old friend of mine.

   “Yes, sir; he is my cousin. A wastrel, is he not?” he replied.

  The conversation was not going well. But at this point, young Thatcher, who had been in conversation with Timmis, suddenly intervened to announce that it was entirely his wish to join the army.

   “I’ve had enough of this here place! I want to go and see the world!” said he, swaying slightly on his feet. “Fare thee well, Bereton, and fare thee well, Nan!” he proclaimed, with an expansive gesture worthy of a rustic David Garrick.

   “That’s a brave boy!” exclaimed Captain Darnwell, “Together we’ll overthrow the King’s enemies and then drink the King’s health with the King’s silver! And every town we march through, you’ll find a new sweetheart! Tell me, my lad: can you ride? Can you manage horses?”

    “That I can, sir!” replied Thatcher proudly.

    “Then you’ll make a fine soldier indeed! Come: let’s away!”

    There seemed little more could be done. The crowd began to disperse, many of them still muttering. Poor Nan had let go of my coat and was now sobbing in the arms of an older woman, presumably her mother. The guinea I had taken from my purse I now quietly put into the sergeant’s hand, saying that I hoped he would drink my health and also watch over young Thatcher and treat him well.

    Not surprisingly, he became suddenly much more respectful and saluted me smartly. “I shall do that, sir!” he replied. No doubt my first request would be complied with, but as for the second I could no more than trust his honesty.

     Timmis was still fuming with anger after the soldiers had marched off. “There’s been times when the soldiers wouldn’t have dared show their faces here!” he grumbled, “When they was billeted here after the rebellion, any redcoat caught out on the streets at night on his own would be asking for trouble. Why; over in Mulchester a bunch of lads caught one coming out of a tavern the worse for drink and beat him near to death, and they was brought before Quarter Sessions where they was acquitted, and all the town cheered the verdict and drank the justices’ health! But now, after the war with the French, they redcoats is all heroes! I canna understand it!”

  But then he returned to more particular matters. “What am I gonna do with my haymaking now? I’m a man short, thanks to them cursed redcoats!” 

  The episode made me aware that my supposed new authority might serve me well enough in Bereton, but might be but of limited value on the national stage.

 
  

I decided to return to London. To my friends in Bereton I pleaded that I had new duties there that needed my attention, but in truth I was becoming weary of country life, with its endless small doings. Also, I wanted to see Elizabeth Newstead again to claim my promised rights as a victorious candidate. Louisa Wibrahim said she was very sorry to see me leave so soon, and as we parted, gave me her hand to be kissed. Once again I looked into her eyes, and for a moment I felt myself torn between town and country. I promised to write frequently, with full descriptions of the sights and pleasures of the capital.

   I did not intend to tell her about Elizabeth Newstead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment