Monday 20 March 2023

Chapter Eleven: The Shadow of the Past

(It is spring 1761, and Charles Huntingdon has returned to Bereton with the intention of standing for election to Parliament at the coming General Election. He also hopes to discover the truth of what passed in the town during the great Jacobite rebellion of 1745)    

On my first morning back at the Priory I was awakened by a rousing dawn chorus by a cockerel in the henhouse, and when I opened the shutters the room was flooded with golden light as the sun rose behind Brackenridge hill. A glorious day was in prospect. I reflected that my friends in London would only recently have gone to bed, but I felt very happy.

  I found spring well advanced and my farms all at work. The fields were green with young crops, and in the meadows lambs and calves were at play. In my orchard the cherry trees were full of blossom white as snow. The apple trees were looking well, as were the pears up against the south-facing wall. Ned Timmis and his family and numerous labourers had been hard at work for the past few weeks, ploughing and harrowing and sowing; cleaning ditches and repairing hedges. Inside the house, Mrs Timmis was directing a vigorous spring cleaning.  

  Martin Clifford brought me a vast quantity of papers containing the quarterly returns from my lands in various counties, all of which appeared to require my inspection. I did not intend to inform him of my intention to stand for election to Parliament until I had first prepared the ground by talking to Sir James Wilbrahim; instead, remembering what Lord Teesdale had told me of the advance of the Scotch rebels through Bereton in 1745, I interrupted our work by asking Clifford whether he had witnessed these events.

  “I did not," he told me, “for I was away in Berkshire, working for Mr Andrew in a dispute concerning certain property he had there. Mrs Timmis was here, and you must ask her. She told me how some of the rebel leaders stayed at the Priory and others at Stanegate, Sir James Wilbrahim being away in London. No resistance was offered to the rebels, and to be fair, no outrages were committed by them, and so the next day they continued on their way.

   “When I returned, I found troops had been billeted both in Bereton and in Mulchester, and remained for a long time. The soldiers were not liked, and their presence led to riots and other disturbances. Jacobite sentiment and hatred of the government remained in the district for many years afterwards: at the county races next year, some of the gentry dressed a fox in the red coat of a soldier and decked the hounds in tartan to hunt it; and there was violence offered to any Whig who dared show his face!”

 

   I was intrigued by this, and later interrupted Mrs Timmis’s spring cleaning to ask whether she had seen the rebels in1745.

   “Lord, yes, sir, I remember it well!” she replied, immediately warming to the topic, “It was the start of December, and there was snow on the ground, and these wild highland men came, a fierce-looking bunch of ruffians they were, with their strange clothes and strange talk! Some in the town might have welcomed them, but not in this household, for we were all loyal to our King George, and always would be. We were that fearful of what might befall; but their leader; Murray, that was his name, Lord George Murray; for all his outlandish dress he behaved in a most gentleman-like manner! He asked at the house for food and shelter for his men, and Mr Andrew, he was very sick, poor man, and had no more than a year to live; he did not wish to feed traitors and rebels, but resistance was useless and Lord George said he would pay for everything, and so he did! And so the highland men slept in the stables, but Lord George and his friend, who called himself the Duke of Perth; a weak-looking man but most polite in his bearing; they slept in the house; to protect us against any robbery, they said; and they were as good as their word; though we hardly slept a wink that night; and then they departed the next day with no injuries done, but with the greatest of thanks and compliments! And I thought, they may all be wicked rebels against the King, but I’ve met far worse people in my time, that I have!”

   “But the young man who called himself the Prince of Wales: did you see him?”

   “No more than a glimpse, sir; for he did not come here, but spent the night at Stanegate Hall; and Sir James was not at home, but in London, and so his poor wife was left there all undefended! But no harm was done; though there was some gossip afterwards…. But lord, sir, the young girls in the town; their talk was all of how handsome Prince Charlie was, and how gallantly he conducted himself! And when we were told that he had escaped back to France, we were glad for his sake, for all that he was a rebel against the King!”

      I would have asked further questions, but Mrs Timmis now plainly indicated that she had wasted enough time in idle chatter when she had important work to do. I let her depart, reflecting that although I might in strict point of law be lord of the manor of Bearsclough, there could be no doubt that Mrs Timmis was mistress of the household. 

                                         (Lord George Murray)

    I found Mrs Waring still fussing in the library, as though nothing had changed since my earlier visit, and asked her what she knew of the great events of 1745.

   “Oh, it was before I came here, of course, she replied. “But I heard the talk about Sir James and Lady Wilbrahim, and I thought Sir James’s behaviour was contemptible, leaving his wife all alone to face the rebels. But Mrs Andrew said that Sir James didn’t just run away and leave Lady Wilbrahim behind: oh, no! Mrs Andrew believed Lady Wilbrahim refused to leave her home! She was determined to receive the Prince at Stanegate, no matter what the cost; and so she did! She was always a stronger Jacobite than her husband, and braver too. Mrs Andrew respected her for that, however much she herself despised the Jacobite cause.

   “And the rebels passed through, and then they retreated back into Scotland and were all defeated at Culloden, thank goodness. And next year Miss Louisa was born and poor Lady Wilbrahim never recovered and died soon afterwards, and Sir James never married again. Mrs Andrew thought he must always have felt ashamed of his behaviour in 1745, and deservedly so too!”

   Having said her piece with unusual vehemence, my librarian then returned to the interminable task of rearranging books and papers.

 

   The picture of my home in 1745 was becoming more and more complex, and I resolved to continue my questioning. Soon afterwards, Ned Timmis came to consult me concerning the hiring of extra labour on my farms. I told him to take on as many men as might be needed, and then invited him to sit down for a pot of ale. While he was consuming this, and following it with a second pint and then a third, I asked him if he remembered the coming of the Highlanders.

  “Aye, sir, I remember it right well, but with no great pleasure,” he replied, “For I was in the county militia then, and a poor showing we made of it! When we heard of the rebels’ approach, we formed up; but what with Squire Wilbrahim being in London and Squire Andrew in bad health, there was no-one to lead us, and all was confusion. In short, the rebels marched on and we marched away, back to our homes, and not a shot was fired against them! A poor showing indeed!

   “And so the rebels passed the night with us, some here, some in Bereton and others in the villages around, and when they passed on the next day, a few of the lads from round about joined them. Some of them was friends of mine. And what became of those lads I know not, for we never heard owt of them again. I hope they escaped, or was killed in battle, rather than live to be hanged as traitors.

    “And not more than a week after, we heard that the rebels had retreated back to Scotland, but we did not see them, for they took a different road. And when Squire Wilbrahim returned, which was a good time after, no-one thought well of his conduct, and some of the older folks still hold it against him. Everyone in these parts knew that Squire Wilbrahim said King George wasn’t no true king. When he hunted a fox he would halloo his friends to hunt George of Hanover, for such he would name the fox; yet no sooner had he heard that the rebels was passing south down through Lancashire and headed this way, than he set out for London rather than stay to either greet or fight them! And he left his poor lady here! That caused much talk, and none to his credit.

   “Your sister mentioned that there was some gossip….”

   “Women always gossip, sir. A year later, they was all whispering how strange it was, what with the squire and his wife having been wed those ten years past, but without children; and then the young Pretender comes, and he so handsome and having such a way with women, they say, and she being there all unprotected, and then next autumn the babe being born; well! what do you make of it? That’s how the women talked; but to my way of thinking it’s all nonsense, and anyhow it’s all long past now.”

  “I was told that there were troops stationed here after the rebellion,” I said.

    “Yes, sir: for many years afterwards there was soldiers quartered in the town, in the taverns for the most part, and we hated them, that we did! They got drunk and wouldn’t pay their bills, and there was fighting, and windows broke, and one night a soldier was beaten near to death, but no-one wouldn’t give evidence and so no-one got convicted. Afterwards I heard one of the officers say that this was a damned rebel town and the townsfolk treated them very ill, but they would be revenged on them. Them was his very words. But in the end the soldiers was taken away, and good riddance too.”

 

   I thought it wise as well as polite that I should inform Sir James Wilbrahim personally of my intention of my election plans, and hope that he would support my candidature, or at least not actively oppose it. Accordingly, the day after my return, I wrote a letter to Sir James, requesting that I might pay him a visit. But how best to approach the subject? It might be best not to tell him that I would shortly be visiting Maybury, since I knew he detested Lord Teesdale and everything he stood for, but since he was certain to discover it eventually, might it be best to inform him openly and honestly? Then again, should I reveal that I knew about his conduct in the late rebellion? And what purpose would this serve? In the end, I merely informed him that I had important news from London to impart.

   To clear my mind and rehearse what I might say to Sir James, I decided to take a walk in the direction of Bereton. It was a glorious day of sunshine, the air was full of birdsong and the trees were starting to bud. I climbed from the main track to a higher path through the woods, and before long found myself at the old quarry which had been the scene of my near-fatal accident. This time, however, I found to my surprise that the entanglement of brambles blocking the gap between a huge boulder and the rock-face had been thrust aside and the wet earth showed the tracks of men’s boots of men passing in that way. Moved by curiosity, I decided to investigate.

  I found myself in a kind of narrow passage. The light was too dim to see how far it ran, and I had only gone a few steps when I dislodged a stone that rattled loudly. Suddenly, ahead of me, a man’s voice exclaimed, “There’s someone out there!”

   “I’ll go and take a look then!” replied another voice, that of an older and more educated man.

   I retreated as quickly and quietly as I was able, for if these men were robbers or smugglers, they would certainly have a short way with intruders. I crouched down behind a huge block of stone and did not dare raise my head to look. I heard footsteps, and then to my vast relief heard the second man say, “No-one about! You’re always imagining things, Harry! Must be one of those cursed badgers or foxes. They’re forever making a mess here!”

   “Brocks about in broad daylight! Don’t be daft! You don’t know nowt, you don’t!” his companion grumbled. This brought an angry response and to my great good fortune they fell to quarrelling, neglecting to investigate further. Eventually they retreated back into the passage, still muttering to each other. Even then I dared not move for a long time.

   When at last I felt safe I crept away as silently as I could; abandoning my plan to walk to Bereton but instead returning homeward. I did not relax until I had left the woods behind me. Back at the Priory I found a letter inviting me to Stanegate.

 

   I was encouraged to find Sir James Wilbrahim in a cheerful and relaxed mood. Old William served me a large glass of claret wine and then left us. After some trivial initial exchanges concerning the state of our farms, I embarked on a carefully prepared discourse concerning the coming election. I began by telling Sir James the news from London that Mr Bailey had decided to retire from Parliament. I did not reveal that I had heard this from Lord Teesdale; and, as I suspected, Mr Bailey had not troubled to inform his constituents of his intention. I knew the information would please Sir James, as indeed it did.

   I left unsaid the obvious fact that one of the Bereton seats was now vacant, and instead, flattering the old squire outrageously, I discoursed on how much I had learnt from listening to the conversation at his dinner table, and how impressed I had been by the desire to be represented by a gentleman resident in the town, and therefore, I humbly suggested that, with his support and that of his friends, I might dare to put my own name forwards? I promised always to follow his wise guidance on the matter, etcetera, etcetera. I continued to speak in this vein for some time before finally lapsing into silence.

   Sir James too remained silent for a while, cradling his wineglass and gazing into the fireplace. Eventually he turned to face me.

   “Well, Mr Huntingdon, you will appreciate that all this is very sudden. I am glad to see the back of Bailey, certainly, but ….” He then paused again before resuming, “Well, and why not? You are young, and have much to learn, but at least I do not think you are another of those damned Whigs. So, if no other gentleman should put his name forward, I do not see why I should not have you as a colleague. Proceed with your plans, and I shall not oppose you.”

   I thanked him profusely, and after some more conversation on other matters, in which I was careful to agree with everything he said, I shook him warmly by the hand, and before departing invited himto dinner, expressing the pious hope that this could mark a reconciliation between Stanegate and the Priory.

    I had scarcely been give the most ringing of endorsements, but at least I could now be sure that Sir James would not oppose me; and much to my relief, Lord Teesdale's name had never been mentioned. My campaign could now begin!    

                                (An old English squire, by Gainsborough)

  On the way home I encountered Ned Timmis, riding back from business in town. I did not tell him of my meeting with Sir James, but instead mentioned my discovery at the old quarry, and asked if he, as a man likely to know everything that went on in the district, thought that smuggled goods might be concealed there. He gave me a strange look before venturing a reply.

   “Why, sir, I don’t doubt that you might be right; and there might be persons round about that know the truth of it, but others wouldn’t think as how there was any cause to interfere in such matters. All I would say is that Squire Wilbrahim is always generous in supplying the town with beer and wine and tobacco and suchlike goods at Christmas and other times, and it’s not for the likes of us to enquire where he gets them, sir.”

  The hint was plain: I would be ill-advised to ask questions that might risk antagonising people in the town. If I did succeed in being elected to Parliament, I might feel obliged to take some action, but for now I would let the matter rest. I had more important things on my mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment