Sunday 19 February 2023

Chapter Seven: Sir James Wilbrahim

(Charles Huntingdon is now living in the house he has inherited near the town of Bereton)    

I realised that when living in the country I would need a horse. Never having owned one before, and having ridden but seldom, I sought the advice of Ned Timmis, and before many days had passed he announced that he had found one suitable for me: a handsome but quiet chestnut gelding, fifteen hands high, named Alexander. The price, he informed me, would be twenty guineas, which he considered very fair for a horse of this quality. Since I knew nothing of what a good horse should cost, I had to accept his judgement. I loved Alexander from the first, and began to ride every day that the weather permitted, inspecting all the country within a day’s reach. I wondered whether I would in time be brave enough to go hunting, like a true country gentleman.

 

  At Clifford’s suggestion I had written a polite note to Sir James Wilbrahim, telling him of my arrival at the Priory to take up my inheritance and expressing a desire to meet him. I now received an invitation to dine at Stanegate Hall with other gentlemen of the neighbourhood. The next night of the full moon was suggested, weather permitting, to allow me to ride home afterwards.

   I asked Clifford to tell me about Sir James. I learned that he had been a Member of Parliament for Bereton for many years, and so was his father before him. The family were staunch Tories and hostile to all governments since 1714, whereas Mr and Mrs Andrew had been lifelong Whigs and Hanoverians, and rivalry between the two households had been fierce. Sir James would no doubt be wanting to sound out my political opinions, and to know what course I was likely to take at the forthcoming general election.

   I next asked Mrs Timmis what I might expect to discover at Stanegate.

  “I really couldn’t say, sir”, she replied, with evident caution. “I’ve never so much as set eyes on the house for that many years. The master and mistress didn’t visit Sir James, nor did he ever come here. Everyone knew that he didn’t consider King George to be our rightful King, and there was plenty of others around as thought the same, though us here was of the contrary opinion. And Sir James’s poor wife, Lady Catherine was her name, she died soon after her daughter was born, that was the year after the rebels came through here, and Sir James, he’s never married again, and ever since they’ve kept themselves to themselves over at Stanegate. I’ve heard say that there’s no-one much there now, ‘cept him and his daughter, that’s called Miss Louisa, and some old servants, and only a few friends to visit, such as the Rector, that’s called Mr Bunbridge.

   “If I might be so bold as to give advice, sir; be careful what you say there, and don’t tell too much about yourself.” I thanked her and said I would bear it in mind.

     When I next met her brother Ned, I asked him if Sir James was regarded as a good landlord.

   “Well, sir, there’s plenty round here that’s a sight worse”, he replied, after much thought. “If he’s strict with his tenants, that’s blamed on his agent, Bagley: a hard man. Squire Wilbrahim now; he keeps the cottages in good repair, and he’s very understanding if someone falls sick, and sends them food or money if they’re in need. But he’ll allow no-one to interfere with his fox coverts, for he lives for his hunting. And the one thing he’ll never forgive is poaching.

  “Oh aye: it were four or five years back”, he continued, warming to his theme, “he had poor George Norton, committed to the Bridewell for taking just one rabbit what had been a-eating of his cabbages; and he one of my best workmen, and harvest time coming on! But I ups and tells the mistress, and she gets Mr Clifford on the case to ask a power of questions of everyone, and a fair quantity of money got put around, and before you could tell it, George Norton was freed!”

   “Did Mrs Andrew believe Norton was innocent then?” I asked.

   Timmis shook his head and gave a sly throaty chuckle. “If tha asks me, sir, I reckon she done it just to annoy Squire Wilbrahim. And he wasn’t half angry too! We all had a good laugh at that!”

     

  Armed with this information, I rode Alexander to see Sir James in the afternoon of the day suggested. Everyone assured me that the house was easy to find: all I had to do was take the road eastwards out of Bereton and I would soon catch sight of it.

   The first sign was two gateposts bearing much worn limestone figures of eagles, which I presumed must be the Wilbrahim crest. The gates were open, and the little lodge-cottage beside them appeared to be deserted, so I rode up the gravel path to the house itself.

    Stanegate Hall was a curious construction. It was built on a slope facing south, and at its centre was an old square tower with narrow lancet windows; dating no doubt from more troubled times. The entrance door had been cut into this, not centrally and clearly at a much later date, with pilasters on either side and a curved pediment above. To the right, on the southern side, a more modern building had been added, with three stories of high broad windows. Everything was constructed of pale grey stone, doubtless quarried from Brackenridge hill.

   Being uncertain of the distance, I had set off in good time and in consequence arrived somewhat early, when other guests had not yet appeared. I was met by an aged servant, whom I later discovered was known simply as William, who ushered me into the library and abandoned me there, pleading that his master was engaged in important business with the Rector, but would be with me very shortly.


   I examined the room. It was panelled in dark oak, which made it feel gloomy and oppressive. The shelves were ponderously stacked with old books, mostly of sermons and religious devotion by obscure divines. When I pulled one book from the shelf, its binding was thick with dust. Above the fireplace was a portrait at full length of a man with a beard and padded breeches. It was not well painted. The background was plain black, relieved only by one corner where was depicted a coat of arms of many quarterings. I guessed it was an ancestor of Sir James, from the time of Elizabeth or James the First. While I was studying the picture, I heard a voice singing. The door at the far end opened, and I saw a young girl.

   She was, I thought, about fourteen years old; not tall, slender, with fair skin and hair, dressed simply. She was singing some old country air quietly to herself in a very fine voice. She blushed when she saw me. I apologised for intruding upon her, and introduced myself, saying that I was her new neighbour, having but recently inherited the Priory over at Bearsclough. “And you must be Miss Louisa Wilbrahim?” I asked. She nodded and curtsied, and smiled at me.

   “So you are Mrs Andrew’s nephew? I was sorry to learn that she died, for she was very kind to me. Sometimes when my father was away, William would take me to the Priory to visit her. But I haven’t been there since I was small.”

   She asked me about my life in London. Most of my doings were hardly fit for her ears, so I recounted my memory of Garrick’s theatrical performances, which interested her greatly. “I would love go to town and see a play!” she said wistfully. I thought her a sweet child, and that it was a pity that she should be buried away in such a remote, decaying place.  

   A fat and remarkably plain woman, who appeared to be the housekeeper, entered and looked at me with grave suspicion, but then Sir James appeared and greeted me. He was accompanied by a gentleman in clerical garb who was introduced to me as Mr Bunbridge, the Rector of Bereton. “Ah, so you have met Miss Wilbrahim! She sings very prettily, does she not?” the latter said, adding, “I have had the privilege of being her teacher, though I fear my musical skills are negligible.” Louisa curtsied again, and left the room without a word. I thought the look he gave her departing form was unpleasant.

   The two gentlemen made a noted contrast. Sir James was tall, but walked with a slight stoop. He resembled his daughter not at all, and his dark eyebrows, black eyes and sharp protruding nose made me think of a badger. He was dressed all in brown, with a large wig of a kind that had long since ceased to be fashionable in the capital, and he smelt strongly of snuff. The Rector was fat and florid in complexion, with a snub nose and prominent lips.

   Sir James noticed my interest in the old portrait. “That, sir is my ancestor, Sir Thomas Wilbrahim, who was created a baronet by King James”, he told me. “His son fought for King Charles in the rebellion, though he lost greatly by it; and ever since then, the eldest son has always been named James or Charles. And we remained loyal to the family of Stuart, representing this borough in Parliament from the usurpation of 1689 and through the unhappy events of fifteen years ago down to the present day. But now all that is over, for I have no son, nor even a nephew! Our line is at an end”.

   “But you have a daughter”, I replied, “And she is very pretty, and like to become a fine and beautiful lady, if I may be permitted to say so”.

   “Yes”, he said, “a daughter!” and he sighed deeply before adding, in a firm tone, “She is a pure unspoilt country maiden, and I intend that she should remain so, for she is of the very noblest descent.” I took this to be a warning against taking too close an interest in the fair Louisa.

   We were led into the newer part of the house. I complimented my host, saying that I thought these rooms very tasteful in design. “Yes, sir,” he answered, “My grandfather, another Sir James, had them built during the reign of Queen Anne, our last true and legitimate sovereign. My father vowed to alter nothing until the true and legitimate line is restored to the throne.” Here was a Jacobite indeed, I thought, but ventured no comment.

   The dining room contained several pictures, with pride of place given to a representation of King Charles the First, with an expression of great sadness on his face as if anticipating his own martyrdom, and wearing a vast black hat. The table was of dark oak, and was set with old earthenware plates rather than fine china. Many of the wineglasses had “Redeat”: “He shall return”; engraved on them. Our host’s glass was engraved with the portrait of a man: I could not see it clearly, but I supposed it must represent either James Stuart, the Pretender, or his son Charles, who in December 1745 had led the rebel forces down from Scotland before retreating and suffering defeat at Culloden. Lord Staines had told me that Sir James Wilbrahim was a lifelong Jacobite, but I assumed it was merely a harmless family tradition.

                                                       (Jacobite wineglasses)

   I was introduced to the company as their new neighbour. Beside our host and the Rector, four other gentlemen were present. They made little impression upon me and I soon forgot their names. They all wore the wigs and clothes of an earlier generation, and their faces were as weather-beaten as Timmis’s, I presumed by lifetimes dedicated to foxhunting. I thought how much Lord Staines and our London friends would have mocked them for their old-fashioned rustic ways. Others, I supposed, might have said that such country squires as these were the backbone of England, but I could not help but ask myself whether, after the interesting times I had enjoyed in London, I would really wish to spend my life in the company of men such as these.

   The meal now began, served by a party of aged footmen in ancient uniforms, organised by William. It was all plain fare, mostly from Sir James’s estates, and in immense quantities: a great saddle of mutton, a huge pie, a haunch of venison, various birds, and several side dishes and puddings. Sir James asked me whether I did not prefer these to what I had eaten in London; spoiled, as he put it, by “those damned French sauces”. I hastened to praise how well the meal had been cooked. The bottles of claret we consumed were numerous, with brandy to follow.

  There was in the early stages of the meal little conversation beyond grunts of pleasure as the assembled gentlemen concentrated on guzzling their food. Mr Bunbridge, when he deigned to look up from his plate, regarded me coldly with his steely-grey eyes, suggesting suspicion or even hostility.

      Louisa was the only female at the table. She sat silent and ate but little. Since she was not seated near me, I could do no more than smile at her. After a while Sir James nodded to her, as a sign that she should withdraw. I thought she gave me a wistful glance as she rose to her feet. At no stage had he addressed her directly, which I thought strange. It came to my mind, on this and on later occasions, that he treated her as if she was a prized piece of delicate glass or porcelain rather than his daughter.

   Conversation now increased. I was asked about myself, and how I came to be living at the Priory. I explained that I was as surprised as anyone to find myself Mrs Andrew’s heir, since I had not seen her since I was a child. I said that I knew nothing whatsoever of the town of Bereton, though I understood that Lord Teesdale was a landowner in the district.

   Mention of this name brought some muttering. As Clifford had warned me, the Earl was clearly not well liked. I hastened to add that I was in no way beholden to him and would at all times be entirely independent in my conduct. This appeared to satisfy the diners for the moment, and they once more fell to their meats with gusto.

   Next Sir James, to general agreement, damned the ministry, and all “Hanover rats” as he styled them, and the war, and the high level of taxation, in the most violent language. All those present agreed with these sentiments. My mention of Lord Teesdale then led him to a discourse on the subject of that nobleman.

   “Teesdale and some others are projecting to build a canal from Mulchester, to link with the Severn, or the Mersey, and I know not where else besides. Fools! I will none of it! They thought of driving this canal across some lands of mine, and informed me it would bring much business here. And I informed them, sir, that this land my grandfather owned, and his grandfather before him, and that never would I countenance such despoliation! What is more, this canal would certainly destroy my best fox coverts! Also, I have refused permission to prospect for coal here. What should I want with coal? We have wood aplenty on our hill!”

     To this the Rector vehemently agreed. One of the gentlemen told how, in a neighbouring county, a great rabble of coalminers had descended upon the rabbit warrens and stripped them bare, with the magistrates and constables outnumbered and unable to stop the outrage. Another warned me that there had been far too much unpunished poaching on my land in recent years, and hoped that I would now suppress it with a firm hand. I nodded, but thought it best to say nothing.

   Sir James then turned to me. “Though I am glad, sir, to welcome you to our town, I shall not conceal from you that I was no friend to Mrs Andrew and her husband. They were a pair of damned Whigs! I hope that you know better?”

   Assuming the role of a very ignorant young man, I asked him what the old party labels might mean nowadays, since they always appeared to refer to questions long past. The Rector answered for him, saying, “The Tory Party, sir, believes in a free monarchy and the apostolic succession of the Church of England. The Whigs are a pestilent faction that has corruptly held our country in subjection under a German usurper for nigh on fifty years! Why sir; if England had ever been honestly polled, the King would have been packed off back to Hanover and the ministers hanged from the lamp-posts!” All the party laughed heartily at this.

   I replied, mildly enough, that I thought times were changing and that under our new monarch I hoped the old labels would no longer matter, but that all parties should now unite for the good of the country. All present agreed that they entertained hopes for our new King, George III, since he was at least born and raised in England and spoke English; and they trusted he would no longer subject England to the interests of “that horrid German Electorate” (for such they styled Hanover). Sir James explained that he had supported the present war at the start, for the honour of the nation had been at stake, but now considered that it was being continued solely for the benefit of the London bankers and stock-jobbers, with the cost inevitably to fall on country gentry like him and his friends. They all nodded in agreement to this sentiment.

      Talking to the Rector, I praised my curate, Mr Chamberlain, but this proved to be a mistake. “I did not wish him to be appointed, sir; but the Bishop is another of these damned Whigs, and so is the Archdeacon, and they listened to Mrs Andrew rather than to me!” he grumbled. “The fellow models himself on Wesley and Whitefield! No gentleman, sir, wishes to sit through interminable lectures on the state of his soul!” I did not attempt to pursue the topic further.  

   The coming election was mentioned, and I was asked whom I would be supporting as candidates for the borough. I said that I understood that at the last election Sir James and Mr Bailey had been returned unopposed, without the need for a poll, and suggested that it might be best that the situation should continue, thus saving the vast expense of a contest.

   Sir James shook his head. Mr Ephraim Bailey, he explained, was an extremely rich merchant and a friend of Lord Teesdale, and had succeeded in the election by distributing immense sums of money as gifts or loans to the voters. He himself, Sir James said, had indignantly refused any such bribes, and he trusted his friends had done the same (I noticed that one or two of his guests looked the other way at this). He furthermore informed me that not only was Bailey “another damned Hanoverian,” but since his election, “he has not lifted a finger to help the town, sir! Not a single penny of his own money has he spent here since the election!”

   One of the others intervened to say, “Bailey promised us the earth; nay, the entire universe, sir! And what came of these promises? Why: nothing at all!”

   There were nods and grunts of agreement. It was generally agreed that Bailey was nothing more than a puppet of Lord Teesdale. I was glad that I had not mentioned my connexion with the family, and remembered how Lord Staines had told me that Mr Bailey now seldom left Hampstead.

  The Rector said that if a local gentleman could be found to replace Bailey, “the whole town would be most grateful!” There was general agreement. I wondered what part I should play in the coming election, now that I had become a man of influence in Bereton; and the Rector attempted to draw me out on this.

   “Mrs Andrew, I regret to say, followed Teesdale’s lead in the elections and supported Bailey. I trust you will be better advised, sir?” I took refuge in replying, truthfully enough, that as yet I had but little knowledge of politics and elections.

   The discussion then turned to local matters: the prices they received for the corn and beasts from their estates (low, through the iniquity of the merchants), their tenants (for the most part idle and dishonest), and, with much animation, the prospects for good foxhunting next season. The gentlemen compared the merits of their horses and their hounds, all of which they knew by name, recounted tales of triumph and disasters on the hunting field, and spoke of the prospects for future hunts.  They praised the valour and intelligence of their hounds, who bore names such as Dido, Traveller, Cleopatra or Ringwood, with as much tender affection as if they had been speaking of their wives or mistresses. I had nothing to contribute to this discussion, and I was beginning to think they had forgotten my presence. The Rector, however, brought me into the discussion by confiding to me the names of his hounds and bitches. He reeled off a string of these; Dorceus, Theron, Harpyia and others, which meant nothing to me at all. He then sat back while waiting for a response. I sensed that I was being given a challenge, and that the names must reflect some episode in ancient Greek or Roman literature, which he was waiting to see if I could identify. But my mind remained a blank, and when I could do no more than mutter something devoid of meaning, I noticed a sneer of triumph cross his face. He rolled his eyes to the ceiling and muttered “Cambridge!” in a tone of contempt, as he dismissed me as a man of little learning. This episode did nothing to increase my liking for the reverend gentleman.

 

   When eventually the talk ceased, we rose to our feet and Sir James proposed a loyal toast to the King, which was drunk with great fervour, much to my surprise. The Rector then proposed a toast to the Pretender, which we also drank, “And who is to say which is the King and which the Pretender?” he asked me, with a chuckle made sinister by a steady gaze from his steel-grey eyes, and I suddenly recalled Mrs Timmis’s mysterious reference, some days before, to the “rebels coming through”. I had, of course, long ago been told how the Young Pretender, Charles Edward Stuart and his Scots followers had in December 1745 marched down through Lancashire before turning back at Derby, but it had never occurred to me that they had passed through Bereton. If they had, then what part had my host and his friends played in the rebellion? For an instant I was minded to ask them, but remembered Clifford’s advice and held my silence. Instead, I complimented Sir James on the fine quality of his wine.

  “Yes indeed!” he replied, “It is the best; and I have a man who supplies it me, well away from the noses of those rascals of the Customs and Excise. Yes, and the brandy and tobacco too!” At this all the other gentlemen chuckled and raised their glasses in a mock toast, and I guessed that he meant that the goods were smuggled. One gentleman turned to me and said, “No doubt you’ll be wanting good wine and brandy. I can tell you where to find them!” He accompanied this invitation with a heavy wink.  Another gentleman loudly damned “That horrid tax, the Excise; collected by salaried wretches,” which brought general approval from round the table.

      Soon after this I rose to depart, pleading the need to return to the Priory while there was still sufficient moonlight. I thanked Sir James for his hospitality, at which he took me warmly by the hand and said, “Sir, I hope we can be good neighbours. Your family were interlopers, but that is not your fault.” I did not understand what he meant by this, but made no comment. I left the company and, thanks to my steady horse that knew the way, reached home without mishap, despite all the drink I had consumed. As I rode slowly along the rough path, with the stars blazing bright in a cold and cloudless sky and the trees black and sinister in the moonlight, I reflected how strange life was. How could events of many years ago, which to young men like me were merely history, still command men’s allegiance? But then I thought: we are still at war with France; what if the French provide ships and soldiers to support a new Jacobite rebellion? Could the loyalty of Sir James and his friends be trusted? Rather than ask questions locally, I resolved to discuss the threat with Lord Teesdale the next time I met him.

 

   The next day I described my meeting with Sir James to Mrs Waring, and asked her why he had described my aunt and uncle as “interlopers”. When I saw her pale eyes suddenly become animated at this request for more historical knowledge, I feared I would be treated to an endless lecture; and I pleaded that I could only afford a few minutes of time before attending to an urgent matter of business. No doubt disappointed by this, she contented herself with explaining that in the great rebellion of a hundred years before which overthrew King Charles the First, Sir James Wilbrahim’s great-grandfather had fought for that unfortunate monarch, and in consequence had had much of his property seized. The Priory, which had formerly been his, was then sold to the grandfather of Mr Andrew, a rich merchant from Bristol, and there had been enmity between the families ever since. I commented that I hoped that these ancient feuds could now be ended.

   I mentioned that the Rector appeared to be a man of learning, but this caused Mrs Waring to exclaim, “Mr Bunbridge a scholar?” in a voice of the utmost scorn.

  I described to Mrs Timmis how I had met Miss Louisa Wilbrahim, and how she had mentioned to me how my aunt had been kind to her. This brought a gushing response.
  “Ah, she was such a sweet little poppet! The mistress, not having any children of her own, loved her like she was her own child! Now at home, what with her mother being dead and she not having a proper nurse to look after her, only that dreadful Mrs Piddock the housekeeper, sometimes when Sir James was away the mistress had her brought over here, and read books of poems with her, and promised to teach her French and I don’t know what else! Or when the mistress was busy, our Ned would take her for walks round the farms. But her father got to hear as how she’d been playing with the village children, and he said it wasn’t proper for a young lady in her station, and he put a stop to it, and she didn’t come here no more. We haven’t set eyes on her since. We all felt sorry for her, all alone in that old house with Mrs Piddock the only female company, though she’s got her own maid now, a girl from the town that’s called Becky, so that’s better than nothing. I’m sure she would have been that pleased to make your acquaintance, sir!”

   When I said that I had not much liked Mr Bunbridge, Mrs Timmis was emboldened to vent her own opinions on the subject of that gentleman.

  “Well, sir, I know it’s not my place to criticise my betters, I’m sure, but that Rector, he’s got a bad name around here. He’s never once come to this parish, and if it hadn’t been for the mistress our church would have tumbled down, and little he’d have cared! He’s got an ugly wife and a brood of children, and for all he might play the tyrant abroad, at home she rules him with a rod of iron, that she does!”

 

   On the following Sunday I attended Bereton church, where Sir James with great courtesy invited me to his family pew: a sturdy pen of oak, where we could sit invisible to the rest of the congregation. Mr Bunbridge conducted the service with authority and preached his sermon with a strong voice, though his method of delivery was less dramatic than that of Mr Chamberlain. I was surprised that he chose for his subject the rebellion of David against King Saul, for the implication appeared almost to encourage treason. Sir James, however, nodded in agreement; though how far he was really listening I could not ascertain.

                                      (Private pew at St. John the Baptist church, Stokesay)

 I described all this, and my other experiences, in letters I wrote to my London friends. My pen quite ran away with me and I waxed most satirical on what I had experienced of the Fitzboobies, as Lord Staines had once designated them: their conversation and manners and tastes. In return, Henry Darnwell passed on some gossip of the town, and John Roberts, who was a fount of obscure learning, informed me that the names of the Rector’s hounds were taken from one of the fables of Ovid.

   Lord Staines replied that nothing in my description of Sir James’s dinner party had surprised him in the least. “I truly pity those who are obliged to live in the country, for I can scarcely bear to stay there for a week. I anticipate that you too will soon find the call of the joys of London impossible to resist!” I was beginning to think he was right: I must indeed return to the capital before long.


No comments:

Post a Comment